Friday, January 27, 2012

Join Our Prayer Team/ Pray For Our Country

Last night our couples' Bible Class met here for a pot-luck dinner and good old-fashioned visiting. Rod & I enjoyed it so much. We have known some of the members since the early 70's so it was a time to refresh good memories and enjoy good food.

I was able to show them some of my "new" acquisitions.

Recently I was given two pieces of furniture that once belonged to Rod's great-grandfather who gave it to his daughter. The daughter, a nurse, who married Rod's grandfather in 1910, took the furniture with her to her new home. At their death the furniture came to Rod's parents and finally down to me, who loves old things. On the back of one of the mirrors is "sold to William Thomas Perry for $10.00." The wood is still in great shape and the mirrors were re-done by Rod's parents years ago. They go well with my bedroom suite.

Anyway, I wanted to get my old family pictures framed and hung up before the party, but I'm so slow getting my work done that they are still lying there near my stack of frames. Well, next time they come maybe I'll have them hung up.

I was also given some crochet work, some embroidery work, even a small golden powder box that you wore on your wrist by the chain to take to parties so you could keep your face nice.

The best time I had though was when we talked about the need for prayers to save our country. We know that is the only way we will survive as a nation.

So we prayed for those that were traveling, those who are sick and then united in a prayer for our country.

I was one of the Presidential Prayer Team when President Bush was in office so I took the liberty of using a quotation of George Washington's from their literature and came up with the following for us:


THE PRAYER TEAM

"If My people who are called by My name will humble themselves and pray, and seek My face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven, will forgive their sins, and will heal their land." II Chronicles 8:14
!
!!!
!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!
!!!!!
!!!
!!!
"Almighty God...
I yield Thee humble and hearty thanks
that Thou has preserved me from the danger
of the night past and brought me to the light of day,
and the comforts thereof, a day which is consecrated
to Thine own service and for Thine own honor.
Let my heart, therefore, Gracious God, be so
affected with the glory and majesty of it,
that I not do mine own works, but wait
on Thee and discharge those weighty
duties Thou requirest of me."
George Washington in
his private journal

Goal: Mobilizing Americans to pray daily for our country, our president, our political leaders, our Christian leaders and our armed forces.

"First of all, then, I urge that entreaties, prayers, petitions and thanksgivings be made on behalf of all men, for kings and all who are in authority, in order that we may lead a tranquil and quiet life in all godliness and dignity." I Timothy 2:1-2

Pray is the only answer to every challenge facing our nation today--terrorists, war, nuclear warheads that can now reach our shores, our economy, massive debt, the elections, lack of jobs, health insurance, social security reform, taxes, Israel's plight, tornados, earthquakes, hurricanes, drought, floods, and the threat of famine. The truth is, the battle is not against flesh and blood enemies or mother nature--it is a spiritual battle and can only be fought on our knees using the name of the Lord Jesus Christ, His blood and the victory He has already won for us.

This year we need to recuit as many members as possible to join us as we pray for protection for our country. We live in the greatest nation on earth, but there are gaps in our country--gaps of immorality, gaps of poverty, gaps of disrespect for the faith and values on which our country was founded. The only way to fill those gaps is through prayer.

Will you join us?

No comments:

Post a Comment